March 12, 2010

Construction Considerations

Well it’s been awhile since I posted but I haven’t been ignoring my planning. Last summer was taken up by some major home remodeling so I put the layout on hold. This past winter I’ve been exploring options for building it. Wood, foam, and aluminum have been my three primary choices.

With wood I looked at simply cutting and screwing the appropriate pieces together with a “plywood plain” for the top although that would make the road under the bridges difficult at best and require some notching of the wood. Next consideration was a wood frame with risers to elevate the track and scenery where necessary and leave it at frame level for the road. I also stumbled across an interesting fastening device (table leg bracket) that would allow for legs to be easily added and removed as necessary if I wanted to setup the modules on something other than the ground. One version attaches to the sides and leg, the other to the sides top and leg. I would expect this one would easily hold a module together without the legs.



Wing Nut Bracket



Top Fastening Bracket

I've seen a write on the web from an individual that made an entire module from foam. Not just the scenery, but everything. Frame, supports, etc. I like the idea of this for weight purposes but not sure about fastening things like Tortise motors to it. Given the potential to damage it (and I am a bit clumsy sometimes) I'm going to take a pass on this method.

Aluminum is another option that has some promise. I've seen a few references to using it on the web and did a bit of research on my own. Basically you get square tubes and connectors and put it together like a press-fit erector set. Add threaded inserts, use slotted tracks to hold a plywood base, etc. If you think this might be interested in this option, take a look at Esto Connectors as one possible source. I'm thinking of making a few tubes through the middle with threaded inserts and then attaching risers to these to hold a sub roadbed. I'll draw up an image when I get a chance which should make this more clear.







I've also got a few more reference shots... but we'll save those for the next post. I expect to select a construction method and get the modules constructed this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment